Senior Community Heath Nurse - 64058848 - Med Surg
Company: Florida Department of Transportation
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Senior Community Heath Nurse - 64058848Requisition No:
Agency: Department of Health
Working Title: SENIOR COMMUNITY HEATH NURSE - 64058848
Position Number: 64058848
Posting Closing Date: 05/11/2022
Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with the
Florida Department of Health in Manatee County. If you are looking
to establish a successful career in Public Health, you have come to
the right place. Many of our innovative and successful health
programs are recognized throughout Florida. We hope you decide to
join our team! Applicants will be contacted directly if selected
for an interview.
Your Specific Responsibilities:
The incumbent, an employee of the Florida Department of Health -
Manatee, represents the agency and its mission and values. The
incumbent is a part of the global public health organization and is
expected to promote cooperation, courtesy and teamwork in a diverse
environment. The incumbent will function under the supervision of
the Senior Community Health Nursing Supervisor and must possess a
current RN license in the State of Florida. The Senior Community
Health Nurse will be part of the cross-trained to work in the
This employee will be cross-trained to work in Family Planning,
Communicable Disease, Immunizations, Preventive Care, and medicine
room for the Nurse Issuance Program.
DIRECT PATIENT CARE AT OUTREACH EVENTS VIA HEALTH COACH: This
position primary responsibilities are related to support all
outreach events provided through the Health Coach (mobile medical
unit). This position provides nursing services to patients in the
clinic for the Immunization, Family Planning Program, STD Testing
and other programs, assigned to the mobile unit clinics in
community-based locations and other clinics as needed.
Duties will include but may not be limited to:
* Obtaining objective and subjective health histories; performing
measurements of height, weight
* Taking/reviewing immunization status; determining
contraindications to immunizations; issuing Immunization
* Education; administration of oral and injectable vaccines and
* Screening and testing for tuberculosis;
* STD/HIV pre and posttest counseling;
* Documenting and coding at the time of service
* Participate/Asist Clinician on limited Physical Exams
* May take confidential information into the field or generate
confidential information while in the field as part of their normal
* Ensures that clients are registered into the HMS system and
Florida Shots; inputs immunization histories, vaccines and
activities into the HMS and Fl shots system while the client is
DIRECT PATIENT CARE AT DOH CLINICS: Provides direct patient care at
DOH -Manatee on-site clinics, as assigned to support Immunizations,
Family planning, Preventative Care, TB, STD and PrEP Clinics.
Duties will include but may not be limited to:
* Perform nursing assessments, medical histories, health promotion
education and healthy lifestyles counseling in a culturally
* Screens for domestic violence and provides intervention as
indicated. Assesses tobacco use and provides cessation
* Provides preconception, contraception, and pregnancy education
* Conducts HIV screening and counseling.
* Performs screening and testing for tuberculosis.
* Administers oral and injectable vaccines in accordance with ACIP
and CDC recommendations and enters information into Florida SHOTS
* Issues medications under the nurse issuance protocol.
* Counsels and refers for sterilization procedures.
* Assists physicians in the exam room and accurately completes all
paperwork associated with various physical exams.
* Provides referrals for PrEP according to guidelines.
* Documents in the EHR and codes all services into HMS.
Performance expectations based on this job description will be
reviewed through individual conferences, direct observation and
input from supervisors. This employee must be knowledgeable in
policies and procedures of the agency and can perform technical
NURSING MENTORSHIP: The incumbent will mentor staff and students
affiliated with contracted institutions.
* Documents client services in HMS
* Monitors business flow process with Q-Flow
* Completes mandatory training 100% of the time
* EARs/DARs will be completed within 7 days of the service
provision, 95% of the time.
OTHER DUTIES: Performs other related duties as required. May be
required to perform additional duties at the direction of Senior
Community Health Nursing Supervisor.
* Performs other duties as required, including performance of
additional interpreter duties, consistent with skill level, and as
needed. Incumbent may be required to work before, during and/or
beyond normal work hours or days in the event of an emergency.
Emergency duty required of the incumbent includes working in
special needs or Red Cross shelters, or performing other emergency
duties including, but not limited to, responses to or threats
involving any disaster or threat of disaster, man-made or
* Must maintain quality of services delivered in all tasks
associated with position.
* All information held in health records is confidential with
access governed by state and federal laws. Confidential information
includes the client's name, address, medical, social and financial
data and services received. Sexually transmitted disease should
afford clients privacy, confidentiality and dignity.
* This position may serve clients that speak only Spanish, Creole,
or other languages. It may require performance of interpreter
duties, if bilingual, or implementation of the Department's Limited
English Proficiency Plan.
* Attends and participates in staff meetings, in-service training,
and other professional and staff development activities.
* Independently and professionally addresses and resolves all
customer service issues and takes appropriate actions.
ADDITIONAL JOB-RELATED REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
* Emergency Duty - Incumbent may be required to work during or
beyond normal work hours or days in the event of an emergency.
Emergency duty required for the incumbent includes working in
special needs or Red Cross Shelters, or to perform other emergency
duties including, but limited to responses to or threats involving
any disaster, or threat of disaster, man-made or natural.
* Trainings/Meetings- Attend all mandatory meeting/trainings as
assigned by the position.
* Confidentiality- Ensure all information held in the health
records is confidential with access governed by state and federal
laws during projects assigned. Will keep confidential information
including the client's name, address, medical, social, and
financial data and services rendered.
* Weekdays-Daily from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Schedule may vary based
on agency needs
* Total hours in workweek 40
* May be required to work evening and weekends when specific
* Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Knowledge, skills and abilities, including utilization of
equipment, required for the position:
* Knowledge of nursing principles, practices and techniques
* Knowledge of human anatomy and physiology
* Ability to communicate effectively and courteously, both verbal
* Ability to maintain effective working relationships with
* Ability to solve problems creatively
* Ability to prioritize and organize tasks for maximum
* Must possess basic computer skills.
* Ability to administer medications
* Ability to observe patients' symptoms and reactions to
* Knowledge of aseptic technique and universal precautions
* Ability to relate with clients and the public in a culturally
sensitive, respectful manner
* Ability to review data for accuracy and completeness
* Ability to provide preventive health care treatment by teaching
* Active Florida Registered Nurse license or a multi-state license
from another Compact State
* Certification in CPR
* Florida Department of Health Mission, Vision, and Values:
To protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida
through integrated state, county & community efforts.
To be the Healthiest State in the Nation.
I nnovation: We search for creative solutions and manage resources
C ollaboration: We use teamwork to achieve common goals & solve
A ccountability: We perform with integrity & respect.
R esponsiveness: We achieve our mission by serving our customers &
engaging our partners.
E xcellence: We promote quality outcomes through learning &
continuous performance improvement.
Where You Will Work:
Manatee County Health Department
The Benefits of Working for the State of Florida:
Working for the State of Florida is more than a paycheck. The
State's total compensation package for employees features a highly
competitive set of employee benefits including:
* Annual and Sick Leave benefits;
* Nine paid holidays and one Personal Holiday each year;
* State Group Insurance coverage options, including health, life,
dental, vision, and other supplemental insurance options;
* Retirement plan options, including employer contributions
* (For more information, please click www.myfrs.com);
* Flexible Spending Accounts;
* Tuition waivers;
* And more!
For a more complete list of benefits, visit
Please be advised:
Your responses to qualifying questions for this position must be
verifiable by documentation provided through the electronic
This position requires a security background check and/or drug
screening and participation in direct deposit. Note: You will be
required to provide your Social Security Number (SSN) in order to
conduct this background check.
Male applicants born on or after October 1, 1962, will not be
eligible for hire or promotion unless they are registered with the
Selective Services System (SSS) before their 26th birthday, or have
a Letter of Registration Exemption from the SSS. For more
information, please visit the SSS website: http://www.sss.gov
If you are a retiree of the Florida Retirement System (FRS), please
check with the FRS on how your current benefits will be affected if
you are re-employed with the State of Florida. Your current
retirement benefits may be canceled, suspended or deemed ineligible
depending upon the date of your retirement.
The successful candidate will be required to complete the Form I-9
and that information will be verified using the E-Verify system.
E-Verify is operated by the Department of Homeland Security in
partnership with the Social Security Administration to verify
Incumbents may be required to perform emergency duty before,
during, and/or beyond normal work hours or days
Florida has the third largest population of veterans in the nation
with more than 1.5 million service men and women. The Florida
Department of Health (department) is committed to serving members
of the United States Armed Forces, veterans and their families by
encouraging them to apply for vacancies that fit their area of
knowledge and/or expertise. Through the Department's VALOR program,
which expedites licensing for military veterans, the Department
also waives initial licensing and application fees for military
veterans who apply for a health care professional license within 60
months of an honorable discharge. These initiatives help ensure
that the transition from military service into the workforce is as
smooth as possible and reflects our appreciation for the dedication
devoted to protecting our country.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative
Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence
in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the
Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring
authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735).
Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to
allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees
are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with
Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes,
candidates eligible for Veterans' Preference will receive
preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are
encouraged to apply. Certain service members may be eligible to
receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements.
Candidates claiming Veterans' Preference must attach supporting
documentation with each submission that includes character of
service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any
other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida
Administrative Code. Veterans' Preference documentation
requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is
due by the close of the vacancy announcement.
Nearest Major Market: Sarasota
Nearest Secondary Market: Bradenton
Keywords: Florida Department of Transportation, Bradenton , Senior Community Heath Nurse - 64058848 - Med Surg, Healthcare , Bradenton, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!