Corrections Deputy Recruit
Company: Manatee County Sheriff's Office
Posted on: May 3, 2021
General Description of Duties
Performs sworn corrections duties involving the care, custody, and
physical restraint, when necessary, of prisoners or inmates within
a corrections facility or while on work detail or while being
transported outside the facility. Responsibilities include; booking
and releasing offenders, maintaining security of the facility,
enforcing security rules, regulations and procedures, and escorting
offenders within and/or outside the secure confines of the
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
* Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
* Ability to take criticism and verbal abuse from Inmates and their
visitors without reacting in a negative manner and project an image
of self-confidence and control.
* Ability to "read" people and/or potential adverse or unsafe
situations and react according to agency policy and procedures.
* Ability to rapidly shift between dissimilar tasks.
* Ability to react quickly and calmly to emergency situations; make
effective decisions while in stressful situations and circumstances
and use physicalforce necessary to defend oneself and others.
* Knowledge of policies and procedures used in the operation of a
corrections facility including use of restraint devices, inmate
control, communication/dispatch codes and signals and officer
* Knowledge of local, state and federal laws concerningCriminal
* Knowledge of first-aid/CPR techniques.
* Knowledge of the facility layout including location of Sally port
controls, cell locks, control panels, secure perimeters, and
emergency and safety equipment commonly used in a secure
* Knowledge of how to search/inspect for and recognize
contraband/weapons or unauthorized activities.
* Skill in searching/inspecting individuals, materials,and
facilities for contraband/weapons and unauthorized activities.
* Skill in the use of computers, two-way radio communications, and
various other equipment used to perform daily functions of
* Intermittent performance of extremely physically demanding work,
typically involving some combination of reaching, bending,
stooping, kneeling, crouching, running, and climbing. May involve
lifting,carrying, pushing, and/or pulling. Must be able to exert up
to 150 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of
force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or
otherwise move objects andcritical sounds.
Tasks and Policies
* Supervises meal periods, inmate visitations and inmate and
trustee-inmate work details in and out of the facility or during
* Completes and maintains accurate records, logs, incident reports,
court paperwork, or affidavits in accordance with agency policy and
* Operates computerized management information systems to retrieve
or enter information.
* Maintains accountability for tools, equipment, and facility
* Observes inmate behaviors and physical conditions. Counsels
inmates and reports unusual changes. Obtains appropriate assistance
for treatment when needed and administers first aid in an
* Provides direct supervision and documentation of inmates and
their movement within housing areas of a correction facility,
secure perimeter or while transporting including verifying accurate
identification and counts.
* Process Inmates Receives and processes inmates from officers and
the courts. Maintains inmate property and assigns proper level of
* Conducts a variety of searches/inspections and/or pat downs of
individuals, materials, and facilities for contraband, evidence,
escape attempts, unauthorized articles, weapons, evidence of
unauthorized activities, and infractions of rules.
* Inmate Movement Escorts inmates to and from cells. May transport
inmates to other facilities as required.
* Arrives on time for work, limits breaks, and lunches to the
allotted time, and leaves on time. Uses leave inaccordance with
General Orders; communicates and cooperates with management in
providing proper notice ofleave; patterns and amounts of leave
usage (notincluding legitimate, properly scheduled and approved
leave and protected leave).
* Works with other team members to achieve group goals
bycontributing ideas in group settings, accepting ideas contributed
by others, operating within team rules, participating in team
activities (such as meetings), working with team members to improve
job knowledge andskills, putting team goals over personal goals,
andsupporting team leaders once decisions are made.
* Followsstandard office procedures, safety policies and procedures
and Agency General Orders.
* Interpersonal relations, the manner in which the employee
responds emotionally and verbally to thepublic, other employees,
and supervisors. This Policyalso relates to the image the employee
projects and includes cleanliness and personal grooming.
* Operates and cares for equipment, tools, and vehicles according
to prescribed standards and schedules.
* High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)
* Must be 18 years of age or older
* Qualify and maintain firearms proficiency
* Completion of Youthful Offenders in Adult Facilities training
* Current valid Florida Driver's License
* Must be a U.S. Citizen
Keywords: Manatee County Sheriff's Office, Bradenton , Corrections Deputy Recruit, Other , Bradenton, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!